We’re not cooking Greek. This time it’s Spanish. Here’s my recipe for Catalan Roasted Chicken with onions, carrots, cinnamon, thyme, pears, orange juice and zest, raisins and dried cranberries. I adapted this recipe from one in Sur La Table’s** cooking class, “Date Night: Tapas Party. I served it with quinoa. There’s a printable recipe at the end of this post. Be sure to check it for coupons.
Ingredients: Chicken thighs, salt and pepper, olive oil, onion, carrots, cinnamon stick, thyme, chicken stock, garlic, pears, raisins, dried cranberries, orange juice & zest.
Chicken thighs seared until golden brown in olive oil and a little butter.
Golden brown chicken in ovenproof dish set aside. 1/4 cup of pan liquid reserved.
Onions, garlic and carrots cooked until soft.
Stock added and mixture poured over chicken – ready for the oven.
Pears frying cut side down, until just slightly brown. Combined fruit mixture.
Fruit mixture with juice, zest and reserved pan liquid and browned pears.
I used orange zest strips for a more rustic look or you can zest with a microplane.
Chicken after 20 minutes in 350° oven
Pears and fruit mixture added
Finished after baking another 15 minutes in 350° oven.
Catalan Roasted Chicken with Cinnamon Thyme & Pears
Recipe type: Savory
Cuisine: Spanish / Catalan
- 4 chicken thighs
- Kosher salt
- 4 TBLS olive oil
- 3 TSP butter
- 1 medium onion, cut into fine slices
- 2 mediums carrots, cut into ½ inch long slices or 2 cups mini carrots
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 TSP thyme
- 1½ cups of chicken stock
- 4 whole garlic cloves
- 2 firm ripe pears, cored and quartered
- ⅓ cup raisins
- ⅓ cup dried cranberries
- 1 TBLS orange zest
- 4 TBLS orange juice
- Season chicken with salt and pepper then set aside
- Place large heavy bottom saucepan over medium high heat
- Add olive oil to coat bottom of pan
- Add 2 TSP butter
- Sear chicken until golden brown about 5 minutes per side
- Place chicken in ovenproof dish and set aside
- Remove drippings/fat/oil from pan and reserve ¼ cup of pan liquid
- Set pan liquid aside
- Return pan to heat
- When pan is hot, add onions, garlic and carrots
- Season with salt and pepper
- Cook until soft about 5 minutes
- Add cinnamon stick, thyme and stock
- Increase heat and bring to a boil
- Pour the rest of the stock mixture over the chicken in ovenproof dish
- Bake covered for approximately 20 minutes
- While chicken is baking, combine raisins, dried cranberries, orange zest, juice and reserve liquid and set aside
- Add remaining olive oil and butter to pan until it just starts to simmer
- Add the pears, cut side down, until they start to brown
- Add fruit mixture to chicken
- Place browned pears, cut side up around the chicken
- Return to oven and bake uncovered until pears are tender, about 15 minutes
** ICYMI I work at Sur La Table Cooking School.