- Phyllo Cups with Tomatoes, Feta and Oregano
- Flaming Prawns with Ouzo
- Tomato Roasted Summer Vegetables with Dill
- and Caramelized Figs in Port and Orange Sauce
A photo of a couple of the Phyllo Cups above. The recipe was easy to assemble and serve. These would make great hors devours for a cocktail party.
The Roasted Summer Vegetables with Dill includes:
This vegetable dish is very similar to my Baked Veggies – Tourlou Tava. That post includes a how-to video. Now I would saute the onions and garlic, roast the peppers before hand and also add fresh herbs as well.
Above, the Flaming Prawns with Ouzo plated on top of the Roasted Summer Vegetables.
Finally for dessert, the Caramelized Figs in Port and Orange Sauce plated with the sauce reduction and served with Greek yogurt. (You could also substitute the yogurt with ice cream.) This is such a delicious dessert. I’ve taken the liberty to add the recipe below. Fresh figs are in season right now. These were purchased from Whole Foods Market.
- 1 cup sugar
- ½ teaspoon coarse salt
- 2 pints fresh figs (about a dozen) halved lengthwise
- ½ cup tawny port wine
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 tablespoon of fresh orange juice
- In a shallow dish, stir together the sugar and salt
- Press the cut side of each fig into the sugar and salt mixture to coat
- Heat a large skillet over high heat
- Add figs, cut side down
- Cook until sugar and juices caramelize, approximately 3 or 4 minutes
- Remove skillet from heat
- Add port
- Return skillet to heat
- Cook to reduce the syrup, approximately 30 seconds
- Scrap up any caramelized bits on the bottom of the pan
- Remove from heat again
- Add butter and orange juice
- Gently swirl pan to combine
- Cool at room temperature or serve warm
Kali orexi! Come take a class at Sur la Table. Ping me for details or visit their site.
*Disclosure – I am employed by Sur la Table. I am an Assistant in the Cooking School.
All these photos were taken during last night’s class.